Sonntag, 15. August 2010

The Real Kiwi Experience

Two weeks back in Auckland and once again it was time to leave the city. This time to Napier, where wonderful Monique and her family invited us to stay with them for the weekend.

After a long drive from Auckland to Napier, Simon and I arrived in the late afternoon and were welcomed by the Van Veens and - lasagna! My favorite dish!! What a perfect start into a beautiful weekend.

The next day Monique took us on a little tour around Napier and showed us several hotspots. We went up a hill and had a great view of Napier and Hawke's Bay (apart from some tiny clouds). Naturally, we tasted some of Hawke's Bay's finest delicacies, namely Wine, Cheese, and....Ice Cream!! Actually, we did not taste ice cream but had a full load of it. But my personal highlight was my first 'proper' pie...mmhhhmmm, my mouth is watering when I think back of this bonne bouche. I wish I'd still know the names of all these places so that you get a chance to experience the various treats...I'll ask Monique and let you know :)

















Back at the Van Veen's we got a little introduction into farm life. Well, apparently I'm the last city slicker alive, so I got an introduction while Simon was in the thick of it. We fed sheep (or watched how sheep were fed ;) ) and cows and went quad biking. 













That evening we had dinner at the Van Veen's mansion again, even Monz' auntie joined us. It was a lovely evening and everybody had awesome fun beating me at the card game we were playing - I love making people happy :)

My favorite Monique ever :)

The Van Veen mansion

Sunday morning another highlight: German bread at the farmer's market! Harald, the baker, made Simon and I were the happiest people on earth. Proper Schwarzbrot, Brezeln, and Puddingstückchen...ein Traum! Harald's wife also gave us the address of Ingo, the German baker in the Auckland area. Life quality in New Zealand just increased enormously :)

The farmer's market and its happiest customers that day

Later that day we had to leave our great hosts in Napier and headed back to Auckland. We stopped for another night in Taupo and enjoyed the beautiful area and its hotpools and spas. 

 Taupo

 Lake Taupo

Lake Taupo and Mt Ruapehu


 Huka Falls



Surfer Dude is always with us


That weekend was one of the best in New Zealand so far. Many thanks to Monique and her wonderful family for a real Kiwi experience!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen